Date of Birth: July 13, 1964
Senator Don Meredith is co-founder and executive director of the GTA Faith Alliance, an interfaith group that is committed to finding solutions to youth violence. An active community and anti-crime advocate, Senator Meredith has been tireless in his work to counter gun and youth crime. He has partnered with churches, police, politicians and communities to organize or participate in rallies and community events that work to find solutions to senseless violence.
Senator Meredith has been an entrepreneur and businessman for over 21 years. He completed several years of Business and Information Technology studies at Ryerson University prior to forming Donscape Landscaping through which he supports his family and pastoral activities. An ordained evangelical minister, he is a volunteer pastor of Pentecostal Praise Centre Ministries in Maple, Ontario and he holds a masters degree from California State Christian University.
His prior community involvements include serving as co-chair of the Black Community Police Consultative Committee and as a member of the York Region Police Chief's Advisory Council. Additionally, he served as a member of the York Regional Community Police Liaison; the Toronto Police Service Chief’s Advisory Service; the RCMP Consultative Committee; and the B’Nai Brith Canada Special Advisory Council to the League for Human Rights.
Senator Meredith has been the recipient of many notable honours including the Nelson Mandela Humanitarian Award awarded by Planet Africa in 2012; the 2012 BBPA Harry Jerome Youth Advocacy Award; the Toronto Police Service 13 Division Community Service Award; and the Urban Leadership Award.
Due to his work in the community, the Right Honourable Stephen Harper appointed Senator Meredith to the Senate of Canada on December 18, 2010.
He and his wife Michelle have two young adult children.
• Community Safety Award (Ontario Multifaith Council, 2014)
• Nelson Mandela Humanitarian Award (Planet Africa Awards, 2012)
• Chevalier Miles (Les Chevaliers de France, Commanderie générale d’Avignon, 2012)
• BBPA Harry Jerome Youth Advocacy Award (BBPA Harry Jerome Awards, 2012)
• Markham Community Service Award (City of Markham, 2011)
• Excellence in Religion citation (African Canadian Achievement Awards of Excellence, 2011)
• Honorary Doctor of Divinity degree (Canadian Christian Clinical Counsellors’ Association, 2011)
• Toronto Police Service 13 Division Community Service Award (Government of Ontario, 2008)
• Urban Leadership Award (Canadian Urban Institute, 2006)
Present Member of:
• Canada-CARICOM Parliamentary Friendship Group (Co-Chair)
• All-Party Anti-Poverty Caucus (Treasurer)
• Canada-Africa Parliamentary Association
• Canada-Israel Interparliamentary Group
• Canada-United States Interparliamentary Group
• Canadian Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association(CPA)
• Standing Committee on Aboriginal Peoples
Past Member of:
• Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs
• Standing Committee on Transport and Communications
• Standing Joint Committee on the Library of Parliament
• Standing Joint Committee on Human Rights